Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Here at Netflix we love the Xbox 360. Since November 2008 our members have instantly watched millions of hours of TV shows and movies streaming from Netflix via their Xbox. Today I am excited to share two big announcements about Netflix on Xbox!
First, today we are launching our new Netflix experience. This application has been redesigned from the ground up based on all that we have learned and includes a number of great new features:
- A better browse experience with significantly more titles available for browsing and up to 3 times more titles available on screen to choose from at any given time. You really get a sense of the depth of movies and TV shows available with a simple and elegant interface optimized for TV
- A richer play experience that includes access to audio and subtitle settings, ratings capability, episode selection, and related title suggestions while you play for a more integrated experience
- Deep support for voice and gesture control using Xbox Kinect for browsing and play functions (Confession: we really like to lean back on the couch and use the voice commands while we watch!)
- Adaptive streaming that constantly optimizes your picture quality while you watch based on your current bandwidth
- Support for 720p HD (bandwidth allowing) and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound so movies and TV shows streaming from Netflix look and sound great!
Second, we are pleased to announce that Netflix on Xbox 360 is now available in Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Colombia as Xbox Gold LIVE is now available in these territories. We are happy that our members in Latin America can now use this rich platform to instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on their TVs. And, with the new features above, they can enjoy the updated experience today!
How do you get the new application?
- If you already instantly watch via your Xbox 360, you will automatically receive the new Netflix application when you install Microsoft's new Xbox update released on Dec. 6.
- If you have not previously downloaded the Netflix app on Xbox 360, download the app for free from the Xbox Marketplace following completion of the Microsoft Xbox update
A few notes:
- Xbox Gold LIVE, a Netflix unlimited streaming membership and a high-speed internet connection are required to stream Netflix on Xbox
- Xbox Kinect is required to use voice and gesture control features
- As with other apps on Xbox, voice control with Kinect is not yet available in Portuguese
Chris Jaffe is director of product innovation at Netflix where he leads our work on Xbox, PS3, and Wii.